Clarence House, the former official residence of Charles III. in London, layoffs are “inevitable,” a spokesman confirmed on Wednesday, a decision that was quick to criticize by a union.
• Also read: The “scandalous” list of demands of King Charles III
• Also read: Elizabeth II’s coffin has arrived at the Palace of Westminster
• Also read: How to follow Diana Kate, new Princess of Wales
According to the daily newspaper The guard, Dozens of Clarence House employees have already received their dismissal letters. A hundred people are said to have worked at Clarence House, some for decades.
- Listen to the live broadcast of the meeting between Mathieu Bock-Côté and Richard Martineau daily at 10am via QUB radio :
The Guardian reported on Monday that up to 100 staff at the king’s former official residence, some of whom had worked there for decades, had been told they could lose their jobs after his accession to the throne.
The services of the King and Queen consort will be transferred to Buckingham Palace following the accession of Charles III, who became King last Thursday following the death of his mother Elizabeth II.
“Following the accession to the throne last week, the former Prince of Wales and former Duchess of Cornwall have ceased operations of their household and, as required by law, have entered into a consultation process,” Clarence House said when asked by AFP.
“Our staff have provided long and loyal service and while some redundancies are inevitable, we are working urgently to find alternative roles for as many staff as possible,” added Clarence House.
“Clarence House’s decision to announce layoffs at a time of mourning is simply heartless,” the general secretary of the PCS union said in a statement.
“If changes were to be expected as roles evolved within the royal family, the scale and speed with which they were announced is extremely inconsiderate,” the union adds.
Clarence House | AFP archives
However, Clarence House employees are not represented by a recognized union, the Guardian notes.
According to the newspaper, the royal services initially wanted to postpone the announcement of the layoffs until after Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral on Monday. But after legal advice, one would have decided to share the news as soon as possible.
All laid-off employees will be offered “extended” severance packages and none will be affected for at least three months, according to royal sources.