Main sponsor distances itself from Hockey Canada

Scotiabank decided on Tuesday to suspend its sponsorship of Hockey Canada as the federation is at the center of an alleged sexual assault case that it would have concealed by reaching an out-of-court settlement with the alleged victim.

As a result, Scotiabank’s name will not be disclosed during the upcoming August World Junior Championships or during activities concurrent with that event.

The amount originally earmarked for this will instead be donated to a relief fund that supports access to hockey for all and the Women’s World Cup. A donation will also be made to the Canadian Women’s Foundation, an organization that supports women victims of violence.

In a press release published on Twitter this morning, the financial institution’s president and chief executive, Brian Porter, said he expects the organization in question to take the necessary steps to ensure its players, employees and others who work for them respect and encourage others at the same time an improved corporate culture.

Increased cooperation with the federal government and its agencies is also required.

“Like many of you, I have been challenged by recent reports of an alleged attack on young ambassadors of our sport in Canada.

“This behavior is contrary to the values ​​and beliefs that hockey represents and those we promote at Scotiabank,” he said.

“As hockey fans and sponsors, we feel it is our responsibility to contribute to positive change in the sport,” he continued. We are committed to making hockey accessible, inclusive and safe.

“It means holding people and organizations like Hockey Canada accountable the way Scotiabank holds its customers, employees, partners and community members.”

Not convincing at all

Earlier this month, leaders of the national association presented their version of the facts to a Canadian Heritage parliamentary committee, and their arguments convinced few people.

The reason for the turmoil is a sexual assault that a woman allegedly suffered in June 2018 on the sidelines of a gala in London by eight members of Junior Team Canada.

Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge said she was not impressed by the comments from the committee’s representatives and had suspended funding given to the organization until certain conditions were met, notably membership of the Sport Integrity Commissioner’s office and the production of a report on the to implement the measures required by the federal authorities.

Hockey Canada: Public money to cover up a gang rape? –

Leave a Comment