What about the cakes?
They’re all packed with sugar, including the homemade ones. Did you notice the “S” at the end of the word sugar – sugar is plural because there are several types of sugar in cakes: flour, table sugar, added ingredients like fruit, chocolate, honey, etc
However, these sugars greatly increase glycemia (blood sugar levels) with various consequences. That acts on the brain and promotes hyperactivity and aggressiveness, makes you fat. It also increases the level of triglycerides, which are harmful to cardiovascular health and the liver, promotes type 2 diabetes and enhances the phenomenon of glycation, a type of “spontaneous caramelization” that accelerates the aging process and is responsible for many diseases.
If you want to eat a piece of cake every day, it has to be homemade and that’s how it’s done.
Our basic recipe
The yogurt cake
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 3 glasses of T45 flour
- 1 glass of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ glass of oil
- 1 packet of baking powder
- 1 perfume
The recipe as such, even if made with responsibly sourced organic ingredients, cannot be considered a healthy recipe. How to replace white flour, which has a strong impact on blood sugar? Choose 3 pots of organic flour from the following flours.
- The more complete the flour, the more it retains the seed coat and therefore its many nutrients, but also its fibers, which allow not to generate the same harmful spikes in blood sugar as white flour T45 or T55.
- Wholemeal Wheat Flour T150.
- Whole spelled flour.
- Quinoa flour with a very distinctive taste of roasted hazelnuts.
- Tigernut flour tastes soft and sweet.
- Chestnut flour has a very distinct flavor and a very dense texture.
- Teff flour, with a slightly nutty taste.
- Amaranth flour has a slightly spicy-nutty taste.
All of these flours are still carbohydrates. A maximum pot, then.
Slightly less carbohydrates:
- Integral kamut flour (original wheat) with hazelnut flavor.
- Gluten-free legume flours have a low glycemic index. Use them mixed with other flours. Lupine and soy flour are even very low in carbohydrates, but have a special taste.
- Least Carbs (All Gluten Free):
- coconut flour. Initially, there may be failures, as the result can be dry and friable.
- Almond, hazelnut, walnut, peanut flour.
- Almond, hazelnut, walnut and coconut powder depending on the flavor (which will be very pronounced) you are looking for. They are rich in vitamins and minerals and are important sources of good fats.
Please note: Starches contain and have many carbohydrates a high glycemic index. Millet flour, corn flour, rice flour are extremely high in carbohydrates.
What can I replace the sugar pot with?
- Ideally a fruit, a grated apple or a banana.
- ¾ glass of honey. Its glycemic index is average. It provides vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other beneficial aromatic substances.
- ½ glass of agave syrup. Its glycemic index is low.
- If you’re on a low-carb or ketogenic diet, opt for a sweetener that doesn’t affect blood sugar and is natural: erythritol, stevia, or alulose.
What to replace the eggs with?
The egg contains very good quality proteins, good fats and vitamins. But if you can’t stomach it, mix 1 teaspoon of ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of room temperature water for each egg you replace. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before adding to your recipe.
Which oil to use?
A fat-free cake is not a healthy cake. Fats fulfill vital functions in your body. Here are the fats with an interesting nutritional profile that tolerate heat well that you can use up to ½ pot.
- Organic butter and organic chicken eggs.
- Ghee = clarified butter = purified.
- Oil seed purees (almond, hazelnut, pistachio). Vary them to vary the intake of different fatty acids.
- Olive, hazelnut, sesame, macadamia, virgin coconut, grapeseed oils. Vary them to vary the intake of different fatty acids.
Also introduce fiber sources if your transit is slow, with:
- Fresh and dried fruits.
- cocoa beans.
- nuts and seeds.
- What can you replace baking powder with naturally?
- With ½ teaspoon baking powder.
What can I substitute for cow yogurt?
By a :
- Goat or sheep milk yogurt, which is less rich in growth factors harmful to body shape and health than its animal counterpart;
- for example plant-based yoghurt without the addition of soy, coconut or almond sugar.
Which perfume to use?
- pure vanilla powder or a vanilla bean, cinnamon, red Kampot pepper, etc.;
- essential oils;
- Lemon or orange zest, yuzu.
All you have to do is create your ideal healthy recipe. To cook it goes in the oven for 45 minutes at 170°C.
– To go further: Book P’tits dej and low-sugar snacks, Magali Walkowicz, Thierry Souccar Editions.