Two young men who lured an uncomplicated contractor into a parking lot and shot him five times in the legs face up to 10 years in prison.
• Also read: The two suspects in the attempted murder appear in Montreal
“I can’t accept or condone what they did… If I had been involved in criminal matters I would have understood, but it was for no reason. I am an innocent victim,” Roberto Celli said emotionally at the Montreal courthouse yesterday.
Photo Chantal Poirier
The victim, Roberto Celli, was also in court yesterday with his sister.
Still swimming in complete incomprehension, the entrepreneur rejoined the drama he witnessed on April 5, 2019, as a gift from Emmanuel Charbonneau and Jonathan Tshinkenke.
At the time, Mr. Celli was working as a manager for a company that rented music studios, one of which was occupied by Charbonneau. So much so that when a stranger called him on the fateful day of renting premises, the victim had no idea. Believing that he would meet a potential client, he went to meet him.
Mr. Celli then crossed paths with Tshinkenke.
” [Le tireur] slowly advancing with his left hand in his pocket and when he is less than a meter from the victim, pulls a firearm out of his pocket and shoots in his direction,” read the briefing.
The victim on the ground
After the first blow, the victim fell to the ground. Tshinkenke then fired four more times, hitting him again in the legs. Behind them followed an elderly couple.
The shooter then fled in a black Dodge Caravan rented by Charbonneau. However, the alerted police did not take long to arrest the two criminals. They found the Colt .45 caliber pistol in the vehicle, as well as clothing and balaclavas used in the crime.
Photo Chantal Poirier
Defendant Emmanuel Charbonneau yesterday at the Montreal courthouse.
“There is nothing to say that the victim was involved in or followed organized crime, she is completely innocent. It was fierce, but it was also done with cold,” stressed Mand Philippe Vallières-Roland, who wears the crown with Mand Claudine Charest.
Instead of going to court, the two defendants, now aged 33 and 22, admitted the facts and were found guilty of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm that they discharged.
For the Crown, these crimes deserve no less than 10 years in prison, especially since the victim suffered serious consequences.
“I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through,” explained Mr. Celli, who is still in physical therapy.
He can no longer work and has to live on a disability pension.
“It’s an event that still traumatizes me,” Mr Celli’s spouse said, while his sister testified that “her life was changed forever”.
M. admitted that Tshinkenke “didn’t want to play cards” when he was about to shoot the victimand Alexandra Longueville thinks the Crown’s proposal is too harsh. Given the age and immaturity of her client, she suggests six years.
Mand For his part, Richard Tawil suggested around five years for his client Charbonneau, stressing that he strictly respected his terms and that he had a steady job.
Judge André Vincent will make his decision next month.