Trump Organization investigation: Donald Trump flouts the court

New York State Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron fined the businessman $10,000 a day until he complied with the court’s demands and granted Letitia James’ request.

Trump, je sais que vous prenez vos affaires au sérieux, et je prends les miennes au sérieux”,”text”:”M.Trump, je sais que vous prenez vos affaires au sérieux, et je prends les miennes au sérieux”}}”>Mr. Trump, I know you take your business seriously, and I take mine seriously.he said, even though the former president was not present at the hearing.

One of Donald Trump’s lawyers, Alina Habba, has already indicated that her client will appeal.

The document preparation order issued last December gave Donald Trump until March 31 to turn over several financial documents to the office of Letitia James, who has been conducting a civil investigation into possible tax fraud by the Trump Organization since 2019.

In early April, the New York State Attorney General’s office filed its request with the court, saying Donald Trump still hasn’t responded to eight requests for documents.

President Trump does not send emails. He doesn’t text. And he doesn’t have a work computer at home or anywhere else.argued in particular an attorney for Mr. Trump, Me Habba.

The Trump Organization turned over 6 million pages of documents, the Washington Postbut investigators are seeking documents from the former president’s personal archives, including handwritten notes.

According to Letitia James, Donald Trump’s attorneys have told prosecutors that a file related to his correspondence had not been reviewed, in part because the company determined that he was not involved in the preparation of its own financial statements.

Last week, the former president’s legal team argued that Letitia James filed his contempt motion without warning and accused Ms James of complicity in one public show. The lawyers later argued that diligently soughtthey had discovered that their customer was not do not have a document.

Judge Engoron, however, characterized the statement as clearly insufficient. The argument regarding this search for documents failed to answer the questions what, who, where, when and howhe argued.

Evidence of “fraudulent or deceptive” practices

Letitia James, Attorney General of New York State.

Photo: Associated Press/Kathy Willens

Ms. James’ office believes the Trump Organization manipulated the value of its assets to obtain both better lending rates and tax benefits.

Last January, she said the investigation uncovered evidence that appeared to show “fraudulent or deceptive” practices, but she signaled her intention to pursue the investigation before determining whether her office would press charges against her, the seat of Donald Trump or his family business.

In recent months, the New York State Attorney General has also subpoenaed Donald Trump and two of his adult children, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump. Judge Engoron ordered them to comply, but the Trumps appealed his decision.

However, Letitia James’ team heard from Eric Trump in the fall of 2020.

For his part, Donald Trump filed a lawsuit against Letitia James last December, claiming the Democratic prosecutor was politically motivated to drop the investigation.

Two ongoing investigations

Attorney General Letitia James’ civil investigation is separate from, but implicated in, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s criminal investigation into the Trump Organization.

The two investigations came in the wake of explosive testimony before Congress by Michael Cohen, former personal attorney and former confidant of Donald Trump. In 2019, he claimed that his former client overestimated his financial wealth when dealing with banks while minimizing it with the tax officer.

The criminal investigation led to indictments against the Trump Organization and its chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, for tax evasion. They have pleaded not guilty and their trial is scheduled to take place later this year.

A few months ago, the Manhattan Attorney’s Office, then headed by Cyrus Vance, seemed poised to press charges against Donald Trump, but the new chief reportedly expressed doubts about whether the former President of the United States could be charged.

According to American media, two deputy prosecutors who resigned last February left their posts for this reason.

Leave a Comment