Google is currently rolling out a conversion migration tool that will help you achieve your existing goals from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4. You can access this in your GA4 settings screen under the Setup Assistant tab under the Conversions section.
How it works. The Goal Migration Tool allows you to quickly re-create eligible goals from your connected Universal Analytics property as conversion events in your Google Analytics 4 property. I personally don’t see it yet, but I suspect I’ll see the import tool soon. Charles Farina posted screenshots of his surgery on Twitter:
For each eligible Universal Analytics target you select, the target migration tool will automatically do the following in your connected Google Analytics 4 property:
Universal Analytics properties can have different types of purpose properties. These two types of targets can be migrated with the tool:
- target target: When a user lands on a specific page, e.g. B. a thank you or confirmation page
- goal of the event: When a user triggers a specific event, e.g. B. a social recommendation, a video playback or a click on an ad
The following target types cannot be automatically migrated and do not appear in the tool: Pages/Screens per Session Gates duration Gates Smart Goalsand any target that uses regular expressions.
You can create up to 30 custom conversion events per standard Google Analytics 4 property.
How to use it: To use the Lens migration tool, you need the Publisher role for your account.
- In Google Analytics, click Administration.
- In L’ Account , make sure the desired account is selected. (If you only have one Google Analytics account, it’s already selected.)
- In L’ Property select the Google Analytics 4 property that is currently collecting data for your website.
- In L’ Property click on Setup Assistant.
- Under conversionsReach Import existing goals from your connected Universal Analytics propertythen click To start.
- In L’ Import existing targets from your connected property select the goals you want to recreate as conversion events in your new Google Analytics property 4.
- click Import selected conversions top right.
A confirmation message will appear in the bottom left of your screen when your selected goals have been successfully recreated as conversion events in your Google Analytics 4 property.
For more information about this import tool, see this help document.
Why we care. You can use this tool to potentially save time without having to set your goals from scratch in GA4. However, read the help document carefully to see what this tool does and doesn’t import.